Short Answer and Essay questions allow you to select Partial Match. If you type key words into your answer key, student responses that include those key words will be graded as correct.
- Open a desired formative and add a Short Answer or Essay question type
- Enter the keyword(s) you want your students to use
- Select "Allow partial match":
Note that student responses need to include the key word(s) in one answer key field exactly (the same word order, spelling, spacing, and punctuation) in order to be graded as correct. For example, for the question above:
- A student who writes "The great barrier reef" will be graded as correct (words added before / after the answer key phrase do not count).
- A student who writes "Great Barrier Reef" will be graded as correct (capitalization does not count unless the "Case sensitive" toggle is enabled).
- A student who writes "barrier reef" will be graded as incorrect because they did not include the word "great."
Categorize, Multiple Selection, and Resequence questions allow you to select Partial Credit. This will automatically give your students partial credit if they get some of the answers right.
Check out What's Next?, below, to find out more about how Partial Credit auto-grading works for each question!
Tip: Use the Preview function to view and interact with your formatives from a student perspective! This is very helpful to test things out and get a feel for features before assigning to your students. The Preview button (eye icon) can be found in the upper right corner of the page.